Monday, March 2, 2009

A Word about My Philosophy

A lot of people may disagree with me, but my philosophy is to enforce rules and schedules from very early on. When we brought the girls home from the hospital, they were on every 3 hours feeding schedule. I realized that schedule like that would work well for me, because I knew when the next feeding was coming and I could get myself ready for it. The girls quickly learned it too, and because of that we were able to avoid a lot of crying.

My girls were in their own cribs from day 1. I started sleep-training them when they were just 7 weeks old, they were sleeping through the night in their cribs by their 3-months birthday.

In general, I believe in structure. I think that structure is good for children as well. Some people believe that especially with twins you do whatever you have to in order to survive. I think that if you do it right from the beginning, you will be able to have a relatively easy 1st year. I think that kids that have structure in their lives are generally happier, because they know what to expect when. They know that their bottle will always have 8oz, they know that bedtime is 7pm, and they adjust and make the best of it.

Of course when devising your schedule, you have to listen to your baby’s cues. You cannot determine the schedule for them. Some kids prefer several small bottles, and some kids like fewer big ones, some kids are night owls, and some are morning birds. Hence, the habits of your child should certainly be noted. But on the other hand, the kids are malleable, they adapt quickly and easily, if you let them.

Disclaimer: There are plenty of alternative views to my view, and if you disagree with my philosophy, you should certainly research some of the alternative ways, and not follow some of my tips. What worked for me may not worked for someone else. I do certainly hope that you will find some of my tips helpful. As a twin mom, you look for whatever helps, and whatever works. The tips and Tricks described in my blog worked for us, but may not work for you, or disagree with your life philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment